Wednesday, January 19, 2011

ms. anti-social is calling.

my mind is running on two different frequencies.

- AM representing my loathe for the majority of the student body, their natural tendencies to be as immature and reckless before they are responsible adults, and my inclination to avoid them and their adolescent behavior like the plague.
- FM representing my awareness of time; looking to the future does not make things come faster, the capacity i retain to understand that i am only 16, with another year of highschool, and more schooling following graduation, and my underlying desires to live in the moment and be as reckless as i can, too.

i'm incapable of finding a happy medium. the countless hours spent walking through the mind-numbing-blah of high school upsets my aura. sometimes ms. anti-social crawls out of her closet to tell me that those glory days aren't all their hyped up to be. but then i feel guilty, for throwing away four years of adolescent experimenting because i'm so caught up in the future, and being prepared, and blah,blah,blah,blah.

is there a balance between being anti-social, overly-cautious, and reckless, potentially damaging, high school experiences? if so, do tell, because highschool is weird.

2 comments:

  1. That's a tough question... Not even I have figured that one out yet.. I think the happy medium is just trying to NOT be annoyed by everyone else's faults. Yes, I agree that most people, High Schoolers in particular, are very ignorant and annoying. But I think the secret is to try to make yourself like them. Not like as in let's hang out everyday, but like as in "I'm sure you're having fun doing whatever you're doing, so I'm happy for you!" I like saying to myself "Does it hurt me/matter to me if they do that right now?" Usually it doesn't, so I just live and let live. I heard this in Seminary- The only wrong way to walk the straight and narrow is by NOT walking the straight and narrow. So if someone has a different way of doing things than me, yet they're still on the path, then we should just be happy that another person is making it to heaven as well! So what I'm trying to say is Love everyone, and hold to the iron rod, which I can tell you're doing a great job of as it is! Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kirsten, I couldn't have said that any better. I know how you feel.

    ReplyDelete